Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cola Cake

I found the following recipe on the internet, contributed by Lee Avery Catts to "Atlanta Cooknotes" published by The Junior League of Atlanta,  and decided to do another experiment. I baked my version of cola cakes using two different colas to determine which cola tastes better.  

I began by weighing my dry ingredients, which I preferred because I found it more accurate for experimenting and less to clean up after and divided the original recipe in half.   I used Coca Cola in half the recipe and RC Cola in the other half.  

Cake Ingredients;
2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups small mashmallows
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
1 cup Coca Cola or RC Cola
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup yogurt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

- Preheat oven to 350c.  Grease 9x13 inch pan or 2x8 inches round pan.
- Sift together sugar and flour.  Add marshmallows into bowl and some into mouth.
- In a saucepan, bring to boil butter, oil, cocoa powder and cola.
- Pour over dry ingredients and blend well.  I used the paddle attachment on my KitchenAid mixer set at speed 2.
- Dissolve baking soda into yogurt, just before adding to batter, along with eggs and vanilla extract.  Mix well.
- Pour into pan, lick bowl and paddle attachment. Arrange marshmallows evenly and bake for 35-40 mins or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and frost immediately.
- Cool completely before serving.

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons cocoa powder unsweetened
6 tablespoons cola
16 ounces confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

- Bring to boil butter, cocoa powder and cola. 
- Pour over confectioners' sugar.  Blend well.
- Add vanilla extract and blend.
- Spread over hot cake.

The cakes came out fluffy and moist, but the frosting was far too sweet for our taste.  I would probably forego frosting and just dust with confectioners' sugar or serve plain.  

Both were sweet and caramelly with barely a hint of the cola flavor.  A couple of my tasters could not tell the difference.  But for those who did taste the difference, RC Cola was the choice.

Let me know the results of your own experiment.

No comments: